toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community  

Go Back   toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community > * Tori Amos * > Tori Amos News & Discussion
toriphoria (side menu) toriphoria (drop-down menu)

Tori Amos News & Discussion "you don't need the light on to guide you to her..."

Old 12-09-10, 11:03 PM   #1
the STING

the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
Default "The Good Book" - *Update* 'Full Tracklisting'

For more information, see post below.

--------------------------------

Previews...

ARTWORK:

Last edited by the STING; 12-28-11 at 08:32 PM. Reason: authorised by the sting
the STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 07:08 PM   #2
the STING

the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!the STING has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
Default Re: New Lyrics Book -- Need Co-Editor?!

So I was in Borders today and saw that Sting put out a lovely Lyrics book with some commentary and an index and was thinking that it'd be great to have a Tori lyrics book. Then I found out that one was made, but it only goes up to "Venus" and considering we got Scarlet, BK, ADP, AATS, MWG, and all of the B-Sides from Tales & SHT & A Piano & more, that the book would basically double since all of the last five albums were long albums.

I haven't seen the inside of the lyrics book. If anyone could send me just one scan of a page to look at the design of the pages, it'd be great.

But I was thinking it'd be great to create a new book, incorporating both commentary/quotes on songs (I only want a couple of sentences, not EVERY quote we can find) and even some improvs. I don't know if the other book contained improvs. I did read that some B-Sides were included and some other songs like "Just Ellen." But I would like to do a sort of comprehensive project.

This would be an ongoing project and definitely something that I'm not looking to finish tomorrow by any means.

But I think if we're waiting till 2013 for new material, this would be a good time to do a sort of collection like this.

I'm NOT looking to mass produce this book. I may print and bind the book for myself and anyone that contributes to the project, maybe even bind one for Tori, in hopes that I get to meet her someday, but I'm definitely not looking to do a full production or anything like that. But I will definitely plan on sharing the final PDF with all of you, which you can take to Kinkos or any other print shop and make for yourself.

Anyways...

I'm looking for a co-editor--someone who's just as anal as me, as well as some experience with InDesign (I don't know how to use Quark). And definitely someone who can be patient and extensive at the same time. We'll come to decisions together, but I definitely have some ideas in my head right now (I.E. I don't want to include any pre-Little Earthquakes songs except for "COYI" and "Etienne"), but am open.

If you're interested in doing this project with me, send me a PM, I won't reply to inquiries in this thread as I'd rather have a private conversation about it. I'm really only looking for one other person to help me run the gambit. A lot of the last couple of album material will involve us going through YouTube videos and radio interviews looking for quotes and improvs as most of her catalog through Scarlet/BK is well inventoried either by YesSaid or HereInMyHead, while, it's harder to find straight forward quotes and improvs from TBK and onward.

So yeah, if anyone's interested please PM me! If not, I hope there's at least an interest and I'll be gladly to share it with you guys.

Also, if anyone has 300dpi/HQ photos of Tori throughout the years (or knows where to find them), could you send/post me links?

This is a spread, so all that white space in the middle will make up for the gutter; I'm hoping to perfect bind, but that might get expensive.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

I havent decided whether or not to re-do the editing on the lyrics. I mean I am definitely gonna break up the blocky "Little Earthquakes" lyrics, but am not sure what to do about Scarlet because some of the line breaks make absolutely no sense. I feel like they put so many line breaks in, just to fill up the map, but like why would "the Rear" and "View" be split up.

So, not really sure right now. I wanna be truthful to the original lyrics, but at the same time, the Scarlet official lyrics are making me think otherwise

Like I said, I'm not planning on including all of YKTR, no covers (so no SLG) and only some of MWG. Tell me what you guys think of my list and if you think I should include anything else.
Old 12-11-10, 07:40 PM   #3
zyoeru

zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!zyoeru has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

I wouldn't be able to help you, but the project is definitely an interesting and ambitious one and I'll be interested in seeing the end product.
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 08:10 PM   #4
silver
+ inactive +

silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silver has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

I can try to help with some pictures....
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 08:30 PM   #5
the STING

thanks for the feedback guys! I'd definitely love your help with photos silver! I'm looking to include, one (just one) photograph from every era (not necessarily including the smaller eras like Tales or A Piano, etc.)
Old 12-12-10, 03:15 PM   #6
orfeo
King of Calling Bluffs

orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Very nice.

I've got the anal qualities you're looking for, but sadly not the experience with InDesign, or Quark for that matter. If only I was my sister... or if only she was a Tori freak like me!

You can now read my Musical Diary
orfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 03:28 PM   #7
the STING

haha, well we're definitely gonna need to utilize every Tori fan's knowledge, as I'm not claiming to know everything about her. I'm gonna update my first post with information we're looking for and if anyone can point us in the direction, that'd be great!

Currently on the look for any improvs for "Pretty Good Year" & "Flying Dutchman" and quotes for "Flying Dutchman"
Old 12-15-10, 01:34 AM   #8
the STING

Looking for a lot of improvs! Please see the first post!

They can be intro-improvs too!
Old 12-16-10, 10:20 PM   #9
silverguy

silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!silverguy has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

I have every song's full lyrics up to date in word on my PC that just crashed but am getting the info retrieved. Once it is back with me I would be willing to share if anyone would like. The font is all garamond and 90% of the titles of the songs are in the album's font (or the closest font to it). I have it saved by album and bee-sides and covers as well as alphabetically. I made myself a bound book at kinkos on nice glossy paper which has helped a lot of my friends throughout the years (yes, I update and reprint). If you want I can help. Some improvs from legs and boots are there as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by silverguy; 12-17-10 at 12:23 AM.
silverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 05:40 PM   #10
SweetOnes
sudden light in everything

SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!SweetOnes has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the STING View Post
Currently on the look for any improvs for "Pretty Good Year" & "Flying Dutchman" and quotes for "Flying Dutchman"
Ugh, I KNOW Rantz had in either a printed interview or the Comic Con chat about Tori writing the song for him but I can't find where!

EDIT: HAH! Found it!

http://www.smoe.org/lists/precious-things/v05/v05.n177

The text itself, from Rantz. I cleaned it up a LOT (check out the link and you'll see how much):

So, she called me up during one of her bouts of writing, and asked me "Rantz, if you had to describe yourself as something, what would it be?" Now, this, in particular was a BAD time. I can't remember what was going on, but i was very depressed. I won't say suicidal, but I was about as far down as you can get. So, I told her; "Tori, I'm the Flying Dutchman."

M: Why the Flying Dutchman?

R: That's exactly what she asked. I explained, A.) the majority of my lineage is Dutch, b.) the story fits me right now. Tori told me she wasn't familiar with the story so i went to the cupboard (While still on the phone) and found one of those Skipper's "Legends of the Sea”glasses they had as giveaways.

This one told the Cliff's notes version of the story, how Captain Van Eyck, faced with a brutal storm, implored God to save his men. There was no answer, and Van Eyck called on God twice more with the same result. Finally, fearing for the safety of his men, he called on the devil, and made a deal that if he and his men traveled to safety, the devil could have his soul. The devil agreed and the storm dissipated.

No sooner had the storm dissipated, than an angel came down from heaven, informing Van Eyck that he had betrayed God. Van Eyck protested saying God had abandoned him, but the angel would not be swayed and told Van Eyck, "For your crime against the Lord, you are cursed to sail the sea forever, to never find safe harbor, or the comfort of the shore or home." I thought that was pretty apt, considering what i was feeling at the time.

M: And how did Tori respond to that?

R: She was quiet for a while then asked "Is that really how you feel?" and I told her yes. She and I talked for a bit longer, then hung up.

M: So how did that become a song?

R: Well about a week later Tori calls and asks if I've got a minute or two, I tell her yes, and she starts playing this song over the phone, just her and the piano. It was amazing and very touching, and I would say it's by far one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me.

M: So how much of it is about you?

R: ABOUT me? well, the first verse, and parts of the rest... You'd have to ask Tori about that. (pauses) I don't know if she'd remember though. She didn't remember the "skipper's" glass ‘til I reminded her about it.

Last edited by SweetOnes; 12-17-10 at 06:23 PM.
SweetOnes is offline   Reply With Quote