toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community  

Go Back   toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community > * Tori Amos * > Tori Amos News & Discussion
toriphoria (side menu) toriphoria (drop-down menu)

Tori Amos News & Discussion "you don't need the light on to guide you to her..."

Old 02-15-12, 05:08 AM   #21
Blue Mermaid
Call me when you need me...

Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
Default Re: Tori to be on VH1's "100 Greatest Women in Mus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
I'd question Adele being so high more than I'd question Lady Gaga, just because one super-hit album does not a career make. Two, on the other hand...

Seriously, was there ANY doubt about who would end up at number one? Can't say any of the top 3 surprise me.

But yeah, I'd say Tori is doing okay at #54 really, considering that her profile in the wider world has never been quite as big as the profile she has insider the heads of toriphorum posters.

PS Plus she beat Macy Gray and Gloria Estefan. Hehe.
I'd find this logic a lot easier to agree with is Sarah McLachlan wasn't sitting one place above Tori. There is little rhyme or reason to this list at all. Lauryn Hill made one stellar album 15 years ago, which I'm pretty sure didn't sell as many copies as Adele's 21. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Lauryn and think she deserves a place on this list for sure, but she has neither a long-career or current relevance to explain her place there. I could give dozens more exmples. These sorts of lists tell you very little about the artists, and more about the people voting for them. And in the case of something as broad as VH1, with voting online, those people are many and vastly varied, and accordingly so is the list.

I was looking for a breath of life,
A little touch of heavenly light...
Blue Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 03:56 PM   #22
APGilmore

APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

They have freaking SNOOKI as a commentator, and "she's" gotten more screen time than Tori, who so far has only made one brief comment about Courtney Love. There are a few genuinely talented people on it (T of course, but some others too), but they're outnumbered, so the list is clearly a joke. Not to mention that Anna Nalick, one of my favorite performers and a truly superb talent, was not even on the list of nominees, so that just makes me angry- no excuse there as she did have at least one big radio hit and an album that went triple-platinum. I'm surprised Tori got on the list AT ALL.
APGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 06:07 PM   #23
aquilm
it will all find it's way in time

aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!aquilm has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

What was anyone really expecting? This is VH1, they barely even show music at all, let alone celebrate quality music that's been around for a while. Plus, the list was generated by fan votes so obviously Tori's fans are outnumbered by 53 other artists', it's hardly a reflection on who's better.
Old 02-15-12, 06:40 PM   #24
mayfly

mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!mayfly has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
woah Re: Tori to be on VH1's "100 Greatest Women in Mus

Quote:
Originally Posted by APGilmore View Post
"she's" gotten more screen time than Tori, who so far has only made one brief comment about Courtney Love.
lmao... does anyone else see the irony of this? ha!

and p.s Snooki? oic, glad they chose commenters with credibility & taste. #sarcasm

mayfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 08:58 PM   #25
APGilmore

APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!APGilmore has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
and p.s Snooki? oic, glad they chose commenters with credibility & taste. #sarcasm
My point exactly. To be fair, people like Ingrid Michaelson and Liz Phair have had their say too, but yeah, Snooki needs to be flushed down the toilet "she" crawled out of and never disgrace my TV screen again. But I have a feeling we could go WAY off-topic if I go on any longer.
APGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 09:38 PM   #26
orfeo
King of Calling Bluffs

orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy01 View Post
Adele's 1st album 19 has sold more than Gaga's 2nd album BTW, if you look at pure sales not hype and over inflated shipments/certs thinking BTW would be bigger than it is/was.
WIkipedia currently says 19 has sold 6.5 million worldwide, and Born this Way has sold 8 million. So I don't know where you're privy to different figures.

But that's not even my point. My point was whether or not someone can continue big sales AFTER their 'blockbuster'. For Adele that is an unanswered question. It won't be answered until her next album. And in fact a sizeable amount of the sales of 19 are sales while 21 has been out, just emphasising what a huge blockbuster 21 was. But that still doesn't tell you about how Adele's career will go once 21 has finally slipped away off the charts.

Last edited by orfeo; 02-15-12 at 09:40 PM.
orfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 05:40 AM   #27
Blue Mermaid
Call me when you need me...

Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Blue Mermaid has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquilm View Post
What was anyone really expecting? This is VH1, they barely even show music at all, let alone celebrate quality music that's been around for a while. Plus, the list was generated by fan votes so obviously Tori's fans are outnumbered by 53 other artists', it's hardly a reflection on who's better.
This exactly. During the course of discussion of the VH1 list on FB, someone posted a Q list from 2002 that I thought was pretty on the money.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/igorga...rock_the_world

And lol @ Snooki, Tori, and Courtney in the one sentence! "Rent your wife and kids today, maybe she will..."

I was looking for a breath of life,
A little touch of heavenly light...
Blue Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 07:08 AM   #28
Alamo
Queen of Spades

Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Alamo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

someone please youtube it. thanks
Old 02-16-12, 09:15 PM   #29
Sammy01
Cry me a river

Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Sammy01 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
WIkipedia currently says 19 has sold 6.5 million worldwide, and Born this Way has sold 8 million. So I don't know where you're privy to different figures.

But that's not even my point. My point was whether or not someone can continue big sales AFTER their 'blockbuster'. For Adele that is an unanswered question. It won't be answered until her next album. And in fact a sizeable amount of the sales of 19 are sales while 21 has been out, just emphasising what a huge blockbuster 21 was. But that still doesn't tell you about how Adele's career will go once 21 has finally slipped away off the charts.
Wikipedia numbers are shipments and BTW was hugely overshipped. As someone who follows music sales pretty closely 19 is passing BTW by in actual sales. Even in the states in a matter of weeks (more even next week if adele's sales are as high as expected) 19 will have sold more than BTW.

As for your second point, surely Adele has already proved she can produce big sales or even increase them seem as her 2nd album has sold over 3 times as many as her 1st. Yep 19 has been hugely helped by the hype and sales of 21, but BTW has sold mostly on the hype and intrested created by the fame monster.

When you think BTW sold 2 million copies 1st week and has struggle to 5.6 million copies (including 440k worth of sales through amazon 1st week when the album was on offer for $0.99) it has done pretty badly.

I'm more impressed with Adele who has had monster sales for an album after her debut. Even if her sales decline with albums now, she will probably sell more with one album than Gaga will in her career.

"This is just circumstance, it is not personal, oh no it never is"
Sammy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 11:18 PM   #30
orfeo
King of Calling Bluffs

orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!orfeo has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy01 View Post
I'm more impressed with Adele who has had monster sales for an album after her debut. Even if her sales decline with albums now, she will probably sell more with one album than Gaga will in her career.
Which would be highly pertinent for a chart of "100 biggest-selling albums by women" or even perhaps "100 greatest albums by women".

orfeo is offline   Reply With Quote