toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community  

Go Back   toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community > * Tori Amos * > Toriphiles | Ears With Feet
toriphoria (side menu) toriphoria (drop-down menu)

Toriphiles | Ears With Feet Please introduce yourself in here. Don't be shy!

Old 04-28-12, 10:15 PM   #71
starlesswinter
Shred in Ribbons of Lithium

starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
Default Re: Do you reassess your Tori fandom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdj0210 View Post
Good point and agreed. Also, Tori's songs are so deep and multilayered, containing several different voices and views within the same song. I can listen to a song so many times and each time picture it in a different way or hear a different side to the song. There are many viewpoints in her songs which I was I rarely get tired of Tori.
Also a good point. I always appreciate that even if there is an obvious concept to a song, there's rarely one interpretation or opinion presented within it. Off the top of my head, there's Virginia, where it's clearly about the white men stripping away the Native American values of the land, but there's the "in some things maybe he'll be right" line, which adds some shades of grey.

starlesswinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 11:20 AM   #72
Mumblefck
swam the fields of fuckery

Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Mumblefck has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

At this point, I don't really understand someone reassessing their Tori fandom. And if so, are there are pop artists that have kept the same amount of attention from you for 20 years? Artists are people who fail, make bad choices, amazing ones, worry about everything you do and still bare their soul for the general public to pick over.

The other day, the AATS album randomly came on and songs that I thought I didn't love were fresh and held a new depth. Also, a song like Secret Spell, the sound of which is almost the antithesis of why I listen to Tori, is still interesting to me when placed within her prolific library of song.

I love following artists and their trajectory - but find few that hold my interest. Tori is a rare bird. At this point, if she puts an album out that doesn't touch me as much, it's not a big deal - though I pretty much find something on/about every release that can.

I do have to say to those that once found Tori god-like: anytime you view someone as your savior, there's only one direction they can go in your mind - no matter how long it takes.

Mumblefck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 03:19 PM   #73
starlesswinter
Shred in Ribbons of Lithium

starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!starlesswinter has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

^ Really agree with all of that. I actually like following Tori and exploring her choices as an artist. To me, it's like finishing a series of books or films - I have to finish the story once it's started, and in this case it's the story of Tori Amos. There will be good parts, bad parts, boring parts, heartbreaking ones, and ridiculous ones. It's not about worshiping her and refusing to see the bad, because I definitely don't like everything she's ever done. But I think of her as more than a machine that spits out music to my personal tastes. I'm interested in more than that.

Last edited by starlesswinter; 05-04-12 at 03:21 PM.
starlesswinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 05:55 PM   #74
jpdj0210

jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!jpdj0210 has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
yin yang Re: Do you reassess your Tori fandom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlesswinter View Post
It's not about worshiping her and refusing to see the bad, because I definitely don't like everything she's ever done. But I think of her as more than a machine that spits out music to my personal tastes. I'm interested in more than that.

That was a WONDERFUL explanation of how I feel about Tori, and how I feel some other people view her. (As their personal music machine.) And I love that you point out, just because I love most of her music, doesn't mean I worship her blindly. I happen to love her most hated 3 albums, but couldn't stand MW. So like you said, it's all about seeing the bigger picture.

Last edited by jpdj0210; 05-06-12 at 05:56 PM.
jpdj0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 08:30 AM   #75
LeavingTerra
This, my porcelain life

LeavingTerra can keep your hoochie.LeavingTerra can keep your hoochie.

I think that by this point, I will never NOT love Tori. She's put out some albums that I don't much care for, but the same can be said for any artist. Even authors that I love put out books I don't like sometimes.
You just hold out and wait for the next one. And even the albums I don't like so much always have at least a few songs on them that I love. Her music has been the soundtrack to so many parts of my life that I simply cannot imagine just not listening to her anymore. As I've grown up, she's grown as an artist. So for me it never gets stale.
Old 08-17-12, 01:28 AM   #76
infoleather
+ inactive +

infoleather can keep your hoochie.infoleather can keep your hoochie.
Default Re: Reassess?

I do not want to see you in the height of your fans! I would like you feel after Tori album, Bruce. When the next album comes around.
infoleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 06:47 PM   #77
ICouldDecipher
I think you're confused...

ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!ICouldDecipher has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Well, I wouldn't say I reassessed it. I would say there were a few tumultuous moments in my life that took me for a spin and had me over think things a bit . Let's just say people were throwing "cheap shots paranoia" around. Now, I get a good chuckle out of it. I'm still in love with the music and musicians that I listen to.

Love,
D
“Because I had kept getting rejected for over seven years. My work. I had so many rejection letters. And they kinda basically sorta said, ‘If you don’t fit into this slot or this slot then you gonna stay in a piano bar for the rest of your life.’ So, I started to try to make myself fit into their shape, um, and as that went down, you know, very well, so well, that um, it was a joke…”-Welcome To Sunny Florida-Tori Amos

Last edited by ICouldDecipher; 01-08-13 at 06:56 PM. Reason: "Cheap shot paranoia exiled from Victoria..."-Columbus Ave.-Aimee Mann
ICouldDecipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 03:37 PM   #78
girlitzerpink
glory be to the 80's,the wurlitzer & me

girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!girlitzerpink has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
fire Re: Do you reassess your Tori fandom?

I have probably reassessed it but was drunk. (I'm in recovery lol)

It has changed form.

When I was young I hung onto every word whe had to say every interview was like gold thread that held my life together. But now I go so far as to avoid them. I find most her ideas flighty and whimsical and that turns me off.

I've grown up in the sense that to know tori personally would actually ruin my love of her. I don't want to know her. I want to stay loving her the way I did growing up. If that means avoiding her speeches and soap boxes so be it.

My ideals and ideas have changed and although I think tori also grew up but once u begin a persona you have to sticj with it in a sense. So I just say me and her have an understanding.

I do think her lyrics aren't as good as they used to be. And many fans humble enough agree with that.

She was deeper.

And pardon me I wish mark hawley wasn't in the picture sometimes. I feel like a little bratty daughter with an angry daddy complex. I resent him.
Old 01-17-13, 08:34 PM   #79
Red Heaven

Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!Red Heaven has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

It's good and healthy to find that balance away from hanging on her every word. I have been through similar things with other artists. I was a huge R.E.M. fan at one time, and while I didn't hang on their every word, I did feel the need to own everything they ever put out (which might border on the impossible anyway). Nowadays I can barely listen to them - I don't HATE them now, their music is just not as important to me as it once was now that I have grown up and become more experienced with music. In this way people can, and do, change, and I think it's a good thing.
Old 01-23-13, 12:17 PM   #80
lady liberty
participate in your freedom

lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!lady liberty has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Unfortunately yes.

It bothers and saddens me immensely that she writes songs and albums dedicated to the bashing of a Republican President who throws our soldiers into harms way of senseless wars, yet she (and many other democratic celebrities and artists) remain shamefully silent when Obama, a Democratic President follows the same path of destruction while also eradicating our civil liberties. Obama's violation of the Constitution and his drone bombing program. NDAA, FISA, Patriot act extension, renditions, bailouts, assassinating American citizens, no prosecution of torturers, no prosecution of warrant less wiretappers, wall street corruption handled with kid gloves, and prosecution of whistle blowers. I know some people speak out but it seems like the vast majority of people are willing to sacrifice moral principles for their political ideology. How sad that Tori is one of them.

She's released how many albums now since Obama has perpetuated Bush's foreign policy and how many of those songs were about the wars? Zero, which leads me to believe she didn't really care about our soldiers dying, only that it was a Republican President causing their deaths.

Last edited by lady liberty; 01-23-13 at 12:31 PM.
lady liberty is offline   Reply With Quote