toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community  

Go Back   toriphorums * A Tori Amos Music & Arts Community > * Tori Amos * > Tori Amos News & Discussion > Tori Websites
toriphoria (side menu) toriphoria (drop-down menu)

Tori Websites "spinning 'round, spinning 'round..."

Old 08-16-11, 12:04 AM   #1
WhiteHorses
aka swanflight

WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!
Default Tori Amos Discography / Collectibles Site update

Hi all

Since a few people have been wondering, I thought I'd let everyone know that an updated version of the discography site hosted at www.toritraders.com/discography has been in the works for some time, I've just been shy to post about it until more of it was completed. Well, we're finally nearing the date of the first phase of publishing, so I feel like it might be a good time to talk about what the new site will hold. Here's an overview:

For those of you unaware, I moved the old site to a new host some months ago, making sure that all the old photos are restored and there are no more broken links:

http://www.toriamosdiscography.info/

Currently the old design you see now is being completely overhauled and every detail of what's already been documented on the old site has been inserted into an editable database. As you can imagine there is a LOT of information, so this has been a long time in the making. Once the code is fine-tuned and the basic structure of the design completed, I'll open up the database to the community so everyone will have the ability to create new pages to add undocumented items (which I know there are countless of them out there, more coming all the time!), or to edit current pages if they see inaccuracies or wish to update the current photos with better ones. This way the information is not relying on any one person to keep track of it all; the database will be a collection of shared information from anyone around the world who wishes to participate. To assist in this I've implemented a user-friendly "click to edit" interface (while in editing mode) where you simply click the text field you wish to change and can submit new information directly from the page. All of this is pending moderator approval, of course, for security reasons and to inspect accuracy, before being finalized into the database. By making this a community project, it will allow the information to expand and be as up-to-date and accurate as possible.

Having the database in place will also open up a lot of other possibilities, not the least of which will be the ability to see all documented items sorted by your preference (year, format, category, era, etc), and the ability to catalog your own personal collection and wishlist on your account (and even making this information public or private depending on your preference). And of course the site will include a forum dedicated to all things collecting and archiving, including buying/selling threads and the like. Hopefully the forum will also be a good resource for people with these type of geekery interests.

I hope to get the first stage off the ground around the time of the new album release, or at the very least before the end of the year. The publishing will probably go in several stages....the first stage will be getting a new design underway with all the older information stored in the database, then another update with a general overview of the newer information for the more recent eras (the first two stages might happen somewhat concurrently), and the third update which will introduce community interactivity with all the information on the site, a bit like a "Tori discography/collecting Wiki".

I am building the site from the ground up, so it's required a lot of testing and re-testing to make sure it's as interactive and enjoyable as possible for everyone. I've been working on and off on this site for the last two years (along with other challenges competing for my energy), but I think in the last few months I've found a certain stride. If anyone has any questions please feel free to let me know!

Last edited by WhiteHorses; 08-16-11 at 07:54 AM.
WhiteHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 04:55 AM   #2
alekvonblixen

alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.
Default Re: Tori Amos Discography / Collectibles Site upda

You, my friend, MADE MY DAY!! This is AWESOME news!! I have to say I have been the #1 fan of that discography website for years! and I was so sad it had been abandoned. Thank you so much for the hard work you're putting into this, which has gone all the way up in my Tori bookmarks and hope to see it fully functioning really soon! Very grateful to you and if there is ANYTHING I can do to help you with it please contact me by PM. I am from Argentina, so maybe if you need some pics of local items or so (which are not many, though) let me know. CONGRATULATIONS!! and YAY!!
alekvonblixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 05:51 AM   #3
WhiteHorses
aka swanflight

WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!WhiteHorses has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekvonblixen View Post
You, my friend, MADE MY DAY!! This is AWESOME news!! I have to say I have been the #1 fan of that discography website for years! and I was so sad it had been abandoned. Thank you so much for the hard work you're putting into this, which has gone all the way up in my Tori bookmarks and hope to see it fully functioning really soon! Very grateful to you and if there is ANYTHING I can do to help you with it please contact me by PM. I am from Argentina, so maybe if you need some pics of local items or so (which are not many, though) let me know. CONGRATULATIONS!! and YAY!!
Wow, well you just made MY day with that exuberant post! I'm so glad you're looking forward to the new site. Honestly I was just like you, wondering if/when the old site would ever be updated...and when I got a hold of the creator (whom I immensely admire for all his hard work) some years back, he gave me his blessing to pick up where he left off. Little did I know how much work it would be. But honestly I've really loved every second of this project, even though it's been very slow in developing for the last two years. If I need any help (and there may be phases of development when I could use an extra pair of eyes to help me cross reference things), I will definitely let you know! The Argentinian releases are scantly documented, so your input will be very valuable.
Old 08-16-11, 06:55 PM   #4
wiresandwood
Go be wise.

wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

This is exciting news! I have been hoping for an updated collecting database for a long time. The interactive aspect sounds fantastic! Keep us updated.
Old 08-17-11, 12:31 AM   #5
WhiteHorses
aka swanflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiresandwood View Post
This is exciting news! I have been hoping for an updated collecting database for a long time. The interactive aspect sounds fantastic! Keep us updated.
Thanks wiresandwood! Support like this is a great motivator for me.

By the way, your signature is stunning!
Old 08-18-11, 01:15 PM   #6
alekvonblixen

alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.alekvonblixen lit us up like amber waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorses View Post
Wow, well you just made MY day with that exuberant post! I'm so glad you're looking forward to the new site. Honestly I was just like you, wondering if/when the old site would ever be updated...and when I got a hold of the creator (whom I immensely admire for all his hard work) some years back, he gave me his blessing to pick up where he left off. Little did I know how much work it would be. But honestly I've really loved every second of this project, even though it's been very slow in developing for the last two years. If I need any help (and there may be phases of development when I could use an extra pair of eyes to help me cross reference things), I will definitely let you know! The Argentinian releases are scantly documented, so your input will be very valuable.
happy to help!! pm me or email me!!
alekvonblixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 03:48 PM   #7
wiresandwood
Go be wise.

wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!wiresandwood has a reputation close to that of Kate Bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorses View Post
Thanks wiresandwood! Support like this is a great motivator for me.

By the way, your signature is stunning!
Thanks so much! I love yours as well!

I'm looking to get back into collecting more. When the new site is up it will be such a great help.
Old 10-26-11, 03:46 PM   #8
superciva

superciva can keep your hoochie.superciva can keep your hoochie.

thanks for the link to the site.
I'll be finished soon?
Thanks
Luca
superciva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 08:23 PM   #9
WhiteHorses
aka swanflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by superciva View Post
thanks for the link to the site.
I'll be finished soon?
Thanks
Luca
I truly hope so lol. I've been working pretty diligently on it, and I hit a momentary setback, so I don't know if it will go live before the end of the year anymore unfortunately. However! It's still progressing along nicely and you can be sure I'll keep everyone updated once it does go live. Hopefully all this work will pay off and y'all will enjoy it!
Old 11-07-11, 08:24 PM   #10
WhiteHorses
aka swanflight

Just wanted to release my Under the Pink layout for all of you, just to let you get a glimpse of what I'm working on. I have a LOT more done than this, but I figure at this point it's a good idea to put something out there.

I just want to emphasize that this is a layout I created more than a year ago, (only showed a handful of people before now). I have a lot more completed and I will hopefully have actual content published on www.toriamosdiscography.info in the coming months.

Last edited by WhiteHorses; 11-08-11 at 01:00 PM.